Dr. David R. LionbergerBoard Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
David R. Lionberger, MD is a noted specialist in arthritis and joint replacement surgery who maintains an active practice in general orthopedic surgery. He is certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and has distinguished himself both for arthritis research and for the design and testing of innovative orthopedic implants. David R. Lionberger, MD is a lecturer and surgical instructor at symposiums throughout Europe, Asia and South America.
Dr. Lionberger is currently the Principal Investigator on several orthopedic disease related clinical research trials which are funded through the Foundation for Southwest Orthopedic Research. For more information on the Foundation for Southwest Orthopedic Research, please visit fsoresearch.org.
- Clinical Associate Professor: Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Active Staff: The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX; Medical Center Ambulatory Surgery, Houston, TX; Bellville General Hospital, Bellville, TX
- Courtesy Staff: Harris County Hospital District, Harris County, TX; Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, TX; Veterans Administration Medical Center, Houston, TX; St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX
- MIS: Quad Sparing Facilitator/Instructor, Aesculap Implant Systems
- Revision Navigation Development: Instructor
David R. Lionberger, MD earned both his B.A. and his M.D. from the University of Missouri at Columbia. He completed a general surgery internship and residency in orthopedic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. He completed fellowship training in arthritis and joint replacement surgery, with additional research in implant biomechanics and design, at Harvard Medical School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip & Knee Surgeons
- Harris County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Western Orthopedic Association
- Southern Medical Association
- Medicus International
- Association of Arthritis, Hip and Knee Surgery
- Orthopedic Association
- Consultant for NASA in space station Medical Contingency Planning
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Legal Advisory Committee
- Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Educational Committee
- Alliance For Orthopedic Solutions
- Consulting Agreements with Research: Smith and Nephew, King Pharmaceuticals, Pfizer, Aesculap, Proctor and Gamble, Salient Technologies, and Alpharma Pharmaceuticals
Recent publications in peer reviewed academic journals of research funded by the Foundation for Southwest Orthopedic Research include the following:
- Minimizing electromagnetic interference from surgical instruments on electromagnetic surgical navigation. Stevens F, Conditt MA, Kulkarni N, Ismaily SK, Noble PC, Lionbeger DR. Clinical Orthopeadics and Related Research. 2010 Aug; 468(8): 2244-50.
- A Comparison of Wound Closure Techniques for Total Knee Arthroplasty. Eggers MD, Fang L, Lionberger DR. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2011 Apr 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- How does electromagnetic navigation stack up against infrared navigation in minimally invasive total knee arthroplasties? Lionberger DR, Weise J, Ho DM, Haddad JL. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2008 Jun; 23(4):573-80. Epub 2008 Feb 13
- Celecoxib does not affect osteointegration of cementless total hip stems. Lionberger DR, Noble PC. J Arthroplasty. 2005 Oct;20(7 Suppl 3):115-22.
David R. Lionberger, MD
Dr. Lionberger specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopedic conditions and performs several orthopedic procedures including:
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Outpatient Scopes
- Computer-Assisted Surgery